Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Zen and the power of Air supply



Today I am writing a funny ( and true) story about the amazing energy of life stages.

Stages in the case,  being situations and events that add to our lives and lead us to unlock and become the person we can be in life. When I was a young Rabid Monk in the making, I worked in a dead end construction job with a pack of individuals straight out of central casting.

An odd mix of steroid ridden weight lifters, wanna be gangsters, old Irish lifers at the job for 30+ years, you name it, it was there in this Zoo.

One day, our "crew" went to lunch at a bar in Charlestown, Massachusetts, a tough as nails working class Irish neighborhood. It was around 1984/85 and at that time, I was a VERY sexy metalhead with beautiful silky smooth long, long heavy metal hair ( think David Coverdale in Whitesnake).

We went into a local pub called Sullivan's (or Sully's for locals)  and of course when I entered I received "the look" from all the Irish mobsters, wanna be bank robbers, etc...the look being "What the fuck is Bon Jovi doin' here?" Our crew split up to eat and drink and a good friend I had at the time and I sat in the rear of the bar to sit and eat near the jukebox, while the rest of the crew went to the bar for a lovely liquid lunch.

As music was huge to me back then, I jumped at the chance to put on some rock music and jam out during lunch. I looked at the selections and picked some Van Halen and Ozzy......

I thought I picked Van Halen and Ozzy...... I soon found out, I didn't, I picked the wrong numbers and selected the songs below the area I thought were the correct selections. When the music began to play, I discovered that the jukebox was very LOUD and my selections ( in this Irish Bar) where blasting at concert levels.......the songs?

The One that you love and Making Love out of nothing at all by Air Supply....

Needless to say, the ENTIRE bar looked towards the end of the bar at the 2 men sitting alone, blasting Air Supply. My friend, saw the danger and sold me out by yelling at the gangsters " I didn't put this on, it was the long haired freak ( nice , huh?)" to which an old Irish jokester yelled down, "Wonderful selections, sweetheart"... the entire bar then cracked up ( including me).

So that memory of 30 years ago still makes me laugh and shows me the unending power of laughter and how it can be used to transmute energy ( someone made a joke and changed the energy of beat the guy at the end of the bar with a crowbar to frivolity).

I found out many years later in my old  healing office that my own ability to use this power would change countless lives........so in an odd way, thank you Air Supply.


The Rabid Monk


ps

enjoy


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY31ZH6hAFI


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9Y1xxz0Dk

No comments:

Post a Comment